In the light of the recent incident at Ryan International School in Gurgaon, we reiterate the following safety and security measures to be reviewed / implemented with relentless zeal:
- Check CCTV cameras and ensure it’s monitoring
- Provide separate toilets and rest space for peons, security guards, drivers and conductors.
- If site has construction work in progress, ensure that no labourers are allowed inside the School Building or around the Campus when students are inside the Campus
- Ensure reference check and police verification of all staff. Many Governments are now mandating police verification of teachers and principals also
- Have lady security guards inside Campus
- Remove latches from inside of classrooms, activity hall doors, labs, etc.
- Remove latches from outside of all toilets where WC is placed.
- Strengthen the system of school student’s departure, attendance and records, including student outpass. Head count is must.
- Schools may also buy an Alcohol analyser and conduct periodic test of support staff for alcohol
- Conduct Orientation and Training for all support staff
- Bus conductors, drivers and other staff must be strictly told not to touch any children unless it’s an emergency.
- Lady attendant in school bus is must.
- We also suggest installing alarm / safety bells in certain locations all around the campus which students can use in case of any problems or threat by an adult. Some of these places are inside toilets, end of long corridors, staff rooms, space that are usually deserted in building, drinking water area, etc.
- Ensure that the sexual harassment committee is formed, active and its information is well circulated with all teachers, parents, and students. The committee must conduct sensitisation program throughout the year.
- Build a culture where students, parents and staff can raise their voice without fear, against any misdeeds / assault / harassment by any person
- Never take a compliant by student or staff on bullying, harassment or assault lightly. Be proactive.
It is best best to be proactive and accord highest priority to the safety and security of students and staff.
To know how to establish a safe and secured K-12 CBSE School, please call Ms Nupur Yeshwanthraj at +91-9981506149 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org